Tuesday, October 18, 2011

VISC Traffic Safety course October 15 & 16th, 2011

Good ole #20 a 250 Honda Rebel - this was my course bike, I was too short for the other ones :(


This weekend was beyond words in description.  I was a student in the Vancouver Island Safety Council Traffic Safety course.  I found the course very comprehensive and it added to my knowledge  base and skill set that I learned in the Novice course.  

When I first started out my two wheel adventures 10 months ago, I never dreamed I would be riding a motorcycle.  In looking back on my journey, there are some things I definitely would have done differently.  I know they say hindsight is 20/20. I guess I was destined to do it, at first the hard way and lastly a better way.  I am pretty one track minded at times, when I set my mind on something I do it and that resulted in me having a scooter wipe-out when I was starting out.  What I would have done differently would have been to take the Novice Motorcycle course and Traffic Safety course before I even touched the scooter.  In fact I think our laws in BC need to change with respect to 50cc scooters, I think that it should be mandatory that people take a basic road course that teaches them how to stay safe and be a competent scooter rider.  I look back and realize I was doing some things incorrectly. But in the end I have come full circle and have graduated to a BC class 6 motorcycle license.

I have taken the training wheels off so to speak, but I will always be a life-long learner with regards to the motorcycle.  I feel that there are three important things in regards to motorcycling 1)  Motorcycle Training with an accredited company 2) Safety  3) All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT.  If you live in Victoria, I highly recommend the Vancouver Island Safety Council Motorcycle training courses, you come out of these a well trained competent rider.  www.visafetycouncil.com.


Instructor Jim and my classmates

We are having a road side conference about our ride so far.

Some folks we met along the way.....


Another pumpkin head......

This beauty was hanging in the Roadside Cafe where we had lunch (I think I would rather ride it than look at it)

Final part of our day.

This is the fun part after we have 'graduated' we get to try all the different bikes - my classmate fell in love with the
250 Ninja, I have a feeling it is going to be her next bike.  

2 comments:

SonjaM said...

I completely agree with you that 50cc scooterists should pass a road test. But then again, you should extend that to bicycle riders who are either completely clueless or of those kind that neither obey traffic rules nor have any common sense.

Dar said...

I think there should be education programs in place for every level of rider from bicycle - scooter - motorcycle. Bicycle education should start in elementary school so we create good bicyclists. I think anything motorized that is on a public road the rider should be required to do a safety course or be licensed.