Saturday, September 24, 2016

New helmet - Shoei RF1200 Duchess


Sometimes when you see something you really do need to splurge.  I was probably going to replace my helmet in the next 10-12 months, next June it will have been 5 years since my RF1100 was purchased.  I wear my helmet a lot, probably more than the average seasonal rider.  Teaching takes it toll with lots of wear, sweating, etc.  Even with washing the headliner it still degrades the foam core. So the research process began, fullface versus modular.  I am still concerned about modular helmets in a crash and worry about chinbar failure, I prefer a homogenous piece around my chin. 



My RF1100 Helmet - Sylvain design 

My RF1100 was an amazing fit for me and it turned me into a Shoei helmet lover. Its quieter than my first helmet, which was an HJC.  I've been poking around since the motorcycle show in January, which was the perfect opportunity to try multiple brands and styles, fullface and modular.  I tried some of the other big guns of the helmet world and went back to Shoei, it fits me great, its quiet and well ventilated. Now it was just a question of style and colour. I was actually going to go with a plain white or silver, but of course the inner bling crow comes out.


A few months back I did see this helmet in white, but was indecisive and waited too long - Boo! Some other lucky rider snatched it up. 



This has a beautiful paisley inspired desigh with silver and purple and a touch of blue. Its not very reflective, going to remedy that with a bit of thin pin striping reflective tape around the base I think.  I fell in love with it and it ticked all the boxes for safety and features, light weight, great shield, perfect venting, quiet, and comfortable. 



This is an upgrade over my RF1100, they've changed the design, made it a bit sleeker, lighter, and changed the venting a bit.  They have also added quick release emergency pull tabs for the cheek pads.Shoei has also included a pinlock visor, which was an added bonus.



Love this helmet! 
 
 

12 comments:

Andrew Thomson said...

Can I get the same design on an Adv helmet...shopping...

Dar said...

You may be able to get a helmet wrap.

RichardM said...

Are any part of the design retro-reflective?

redlegsrides said...

Shoei, great reputation and price....cool designs though much too fancy for boring old me!

David Masse said...

Very nice Dar.

I'm partial to plain black. I recently bought a flat black retro 3/4 helmet and goggles just for the 2016 Distingushed Gentleman's Ride.

The $50 helmet was an acceptable risk for a parade-like ride with 300 companions. Now it will sit in its bag until this time next year.

If I were rich I might have a showroomy helmet closet with nicely lit shelving, glass doors and mirrors, to house a helmet collection.

Only then might I own a helmet like your new one.

Lynne Goebeler said...

A quality helmet is not a splurge at all, as you well know. The slight cost increase for the fabulous look might be, but you're worth it! :-)

Trobairitz said...

I think it is perfect for you, looks like a tiara on the back!

Dar said...

Charlie6 - You are pretty cool with that sidecar rig and all.

Richard - The design even though sparkly isn't particularly reflective, shoei could up their game with that, particularly when that helmet full price listed here at $789 CDN and I got it for roughly 35% off at about $514 CDN. I am just going add a little reflective pinstriping around the base.

David - I wish I had a special room for my helmets! As it is I am probably going to keep my old one, I really liked the graphics on it. I may come up with a crafty idea for it, but most likely will keep it as a "Just in case" spare helmet.

Trobairitz - I seem to remember you had a helmet with purple on it didn't you? I love this design, it does look like a tiara a bit, and I like that its different.

Lynne - Believe it or not it was actually way cheaper than the solid coloured ones, because they change out their graphics with every other season. The current RF1200 ladies helmet is called "seduction" it is so trashy looking, its white with a splash of hot pink and then has a partially laced up bustier - I just felt like calling Shoei and saying "Really?!" just about every woman I know that has seen it thinks its ridiculous. I think that one will be sitting on the shelf for quite awhile. Yup it was work the few extra pennies. But do have to say in most cases about its about the fit versus cost, although I do like that Shoei meets DOT and SNELL ratings. But I believe Arai does DOT, Snell and ECE, which is even higher standard. I am pretty happy with this one, it definitely is more comfortable that my RF1100 and better a little more acoustically. So it was a good choice4.

Lynne Goebeler said...

Yes, I agree fit and safety top the list, but if you can get a design you like for a deal, even better! And I too am disappointed in Shoei for the trashy new design. Wonder who they consulted on that?? I hope they don't sell...

Dar said...

Lynne - when I was looking at the helmets the sales woman suggested the 'seduction' and when I visibly winced and made a face she said "I know right, what were they thinking when they designed this?!" She said that she couldn't believe the design and that every woman who comes in has the same reaction. Even if it was marked down to $100, I still wouldn't buy it, well maybe if I coukd spray paint it. I am actually going to write to shoei, I hate the stereotypimg trashiness of that design. I woukd rather see a helmet with butterflies, rainbows and puppies on it than trashy graphics.

Lynne Goebeler said...

Totally agree...I think writing to Shoei is a great idea. They need a reality check on their market "research" results.

Dean said...

Love the helmet, looks great on you! The design and colors are awesome together.
Margot