Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Let me introduce you to Miss Scarlett

Miss Scarlett my new baby!


Here is my beautiful new bike.  She is gorgeous and I am still pinching myself as I still can't believe that she is really mine.  I will be sad to see Miss Lucy go, I learned a lot and she was a great first bike.  Here is the back story of Scarlett.  She is a 1985 Honda Shadow VT500C, she has approximately 11,000 km's and has only been owned by two people and has been garage kept her entire life.  According to Honda her color is called Candy Glory Red - I wonder who thinks up the names of the colors- the names are interesting to say the least.  After I purchased Lucy I stopped by my neighbor's to see if she was riding yet because she had a baby a few months before.  I hadn't seen her bike yet and when she showed me, I was almost knocked over at how nice it was. She said she was thinking of selling it, but wasn't too hard pressed to, she wants a dual sport or enduro.  She had purchased Scarlett about 2 years ago from a fellow who lived in Calgary.  He used to come to the island for the summer and drove the bike while he was here. About 3 weeks ago a Scarlett was being ridden past our house, Motorcycle Man flagged the neighbor dude down and was chatting him up.  Apparently he was going to sell it to his brother-in-law he was getting her ready for him to test drive.  Motorcycle Man said "Then she is not sold yet and can I test drive her?"  The neighbor dude let him drive her and that is when he decided that she was going to be my new bike.  She is in show room condition and absolutely beautiful.  He has been keeping this secret for 3 weeks and I am surprised that no one spilled the beans in our house.  

It is funny when I sat on Lucy my 450 I knew her name instantly, but not so with the newest edition to my '2 wheeled fleet' of bikes.  I think I was so surprised, it was unexpected and it also made me a little overwhelmed too.  So I have been mulling over names for the last few days, we have gone from Baby, Delilah, Layla, Redzilla, LucyII, VT Vixen, but I decided that there could only be 1 Lucy and 1 Vixen and it wasn't fair to reuse the names. Poppy was a front runner for awhile, but Motorcycle Man said it wasn't bad-ass enough - lol, me a bad-ass - hardly think so.  I even went so far as to look at names on red lipsticks and nail polishes because some have pretty far out wild names.  Also googled what people call their bikes and I have to say some people have some pretty stupid bike names and some even have pretty rude names as well.  I even looked at my baby book for names and fell in love with Scarlett.    It makes me feel pretty daring too!  I love the color she is and she is perfect!  So please welcome Miss Scarlett to my 2 wheeled family.   

14 comments:

Trobairitz said...

WooHoo! Congrats to you and Miss Scarlett. Great name. She sure is pretty.

Roger said...

Many adventures to come, it has been great reading of you adventures this year, next year will be even better. Star planning that American tour now.....

Unknown said...

Dar:

I'm dreaming of Clark Gable when he said that famous phrase from "Gone with the Wind", "Quite frankly Scarlett, I couldn't . . . " (I don't swear) That name suits you, cause you are already a Vixen

It was meant to be, it had already been transported from Calgary for you, and kept in good hands until you passed your endorsement

bob
Riding the Wet Coast

Dar said...

Trobairitz ~ She is pretty! Now I wish the rain would clear so I can take her for a ride. I want to take her my practice parkinglot and get a feel for her. I have been riding the scoot for the last month and I need to get reaquainted with shifting and braking with hand & foot. On my scoot it has two hand brakes.

Raftnn ~ I think it will be the Great Canadian Tour first. I am probably going to go up our beautiful Island and onto Tofino.

Bob ~ I was thinking of Clark Gable and Scarlett, she was a she-devil and I have a few of those she-devil independent qualities. The bike just screams Scarlett. Seems that the names I have picked have all had subtle references to wild women - lol.

RichardM said...

It looks to be in very good condition and the red color and colorful name just seems to fit a diva!

Keith - Circle Blue said...

She's a beauty! Glad you came up with a name. It seems some of us name our rides and others don't. As you know, I'm one who names. It bugs me until I discover the right name. Billie, my Symba, didn't give up her name easily.

I sense great times a comin'
~k

Troubadour said...

What's in a name? Too funny, my last bike was Scarlett and my current bike Lucy, ( named after a different Scarlett though). Wow what a find, she sure looks nice, an '85 and only 11000 k on the clock.
Check the date stamp on those tires, old tires are slippery, you might want to replace them.
And tell us more about that great looking bug you have stashed in the garage.

Dar said...

Richard ~ She is definitely a diva color! Its funny because I usually gravitate to blue motorcycles. But this one is definitely speaking to my heart!

Circle Blue ~ I have always named my vehicles, not sure why, I think it gives me a connectedness with them. I think when you are riding a motorcycle or scooter you had better develop an up close & personal relationship with your two wheeled steel pony, because you are relying on it and your skills to keep you safe. Scarlett seemed like a no brainer, but it was hard to finally settle on it. I guess I still have attachments to Lucy and Vixen.

I too feel some adventures coming on and wish the season was here! I haven't insured Scarlett yet because it has been pouring here.

Of course with a new bike we need more accessories. I am currently looking for a tank bag or a tail bag. I think I am opting more for tail bag, I don't want to take any chances of scratching up the paint on her tank.

SonjaM said...

The name fits the bike well. And 'Gone with the wind'? Come one that is almost blog title worthy, eh?

Wishing you safe PLP (Parking Lot Practice).

Dar said...

Sonja ~ Thank you and guess when I sell Lucy and Vixen they will be "Gone with the Wind". Thanks for the PLP good mojo! A girl can never have enough practice!

BestScenicRoutes.com said...

Congratulations on the new bike. Sometimes it is best to ride the bike a bit to get the right name. My V-Strom is named Victor Stromboli. A good adventure bike needs an adventurous name!

Dar said...

Best - love the name of your bike! It is perfect!

Adrian from YouMotorcycle said...

Baby books?! Lol

Bike looks super clean for it's age - good find, Motorcycle Man! Enjoy, MotoDiva!

Dar said...

Adrian - she is in mint condition, she has hardly been ridden. She is just broken in @ 11,000 kms. She was only a summer rider for a guy who used to come to the island. It was a lucky find.