Thursday, August 8, 2013

Time of plenty



It's August and it's my vacation, there are a few things I do when vacay rolls around and it is relaxing and makes it worth slogging through the whole year to get there.  

Pastry from made from scratch with butter - I am a purist - Julia Childs was right it is better with butter.

I spend time with my family, we go camping and day tripping. I bake - lots!  I am a foodie and I think my retirement dream would be to have a piece of land in the Okanagan with peach & cherry trees.  I would love to bake all day long.

I hand pitted three pounds of BC cherries

I take more time preparing meals, right down to good ingredients and relaxing music in the background.  I would rather make happy food filled with love - instead of having the just get it done attitude which the rest of the year seems to be about when cooking.  Today's pie baking was to Frank Sinatra. 

This is what 3 pounds if pitted cherries looks like.
Fresh peach pie
(All ready for baking - ps I have been texting my husband pictures of the pie process as he has been slogging it out at work - yup I am a cruel woman)
In process!

The other thing I like to do is to ride  my motorcycle for pleasure instead of commuting.  I am a year rounder and while it is cool to be able to ride for most of the year, quite honestly the wet and cold take their toll after a bit.


I also like to have a good glass of wine with a lovely summer dinner out on the patio.  
Tonight I will be the 'saint' for all the pie goodness, tomorrow who knows......

Maybe the sinner?!?!?

*Tonight's menu

Appetizer  ~ grilled asparagus wrapped in prosciutto 

Main ~slo cooked ribs & salad

Desert ~ Peach or Cherry pie 

And a lovely bottle of vino of course.

Bon appetit!
 

First course prosciutto with grilled asparagus.

Salad fresh summer greens with pears poached in balsamic and maple syrup topped with blue cheese crumbles & fresh blackberries


Desert 

19 comments:

RichardM said...

I'll be there shortly ;-)

Looks really good!

Pam said...

I'm drooling at your pictures! Hope I don't short out my computer. Looks so yummy!!! Enjoy your vaycay and tasty treats.

SonjaM said...

There is nothing better than a staycation on the island. Leave some cake. I'll be on the next plane... ;-)

Martha said...

The pies look excellent! And the salad would be wonderful. I'll add that to my list!

Dar said...

Richard you are welcome here anytime!

Dar said...

Pam I hope you salvaged your keyboard from the drooling :)

Dar said...

Sonja what types of fruit are available to you? I have never thought about what you might be able to or not able to get. Love the island in the summer!

Dar said...

The pies were good for the first of the season :) The salad could have used some slivered toasted almonds for a bit of smokey taste. We thoroughly enjoyed it though. I was going to post a pic of the ribs, but the got devoured too quickly.

Brenda said...

I think you're going to have a dinner party ... I'll be there in a jiffy!!

Coop a.k.a. Coopdway said...

Here I sit, trying my best to get motivated for today's work projects and to be excited about my dry, lunchtime sandwich.....it's going to be a very loonnnggg day.

Enjoy your sumptuous days off Dar!

Dar said...

Coop if I could send you a piece of pie I would!

Brenda come anytime you have an open invitation! I know it's a long way to come, but you never know!

VStar Lady said...

Dar brings whole new meaning to Princess Scooter -"PIE"
The whole meal looked fantastic. Don't you just love holidays.

Trobairitz said...

Mmmm pie.......

Lucky said...

Wow excellent!

And texting pictures throughout the day? That is cruel... :)

Deb said...

Wait here! I'm going to get my fork and wine glass....

Dar said...

Making blueberry pie now :)

BeemerGirl said...

You may think you were being cruel by sending hubby pics of the process. But all I have to say is that "HE GOT TO GO HOME AND EAT IT!!" We don't have that luxury here in blog-o-sphere. :(

But I'm glad that it was thoroughly enjoyed with loving family.

Dar said...

Yup BeemerGirl he had desert and pie for breakfast.

David Masse said...

Dar, impossible to pick a winner! Everything looks scrimptious!! Here's something to try for a salad: arugula (rocket), walnuts, crumbled feta, red onion, and fresh caramilzed figs, olive oil, a splash of lemon juice, a little salt and pepper.