Monday, August 26, 2013

Storm watching West Coast Style




The West Coast has very unpredictable weather, the old saying is, "if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes."  The weather changes frequently up in the Tofino area.  I watched the hourly forecast and it was calling for sun in the morning and rain around 1:00pm, at 1:14pm the wind & rain started.  So I do what every good west coaster does when up in Tofino you grab your rain gear and head out to storm watch.


This is rain country and it is quite evident when you look at the surrounding forest. The beach was all but empty with only a few souls braving the gusty winds and rain. 
I spotted a couple of intrepid surfers catching some waves.  It amazes me how they manage to get up on those moving boards in a very chilly Pacific Ocean.  


I never tire of looking at the ocean and marvel at the power she commands.  It was well worth getting drenched.  

This storm is a little one compared to the ones that happen in the fall and winter storm season and people from around the world come here to storm watch.


What a difference a day makes, sun and warm temperatures to cold, wind, and rain.  Love West Coast living!  



10 comments:

SonjaM said...

Sigh, will you stop it please. You make me homesick.

Last time I have been there stormwatching (in Ucluelet) was October 2010.

Lucky said...

Yes, you're making me homesick too... And I've never lived there. ;)

Trobairitz said...

More beautiful shots. The colors are so different from the blue sky.

RichardM said...

The cloud cover makes it "feel" cold. So you didn't feel inspired to rent a surfboard?

Unknown said...

Dar:

we have stayed in one of those cabins on McKenzie Beach, and also at the old Roots Resort in Ucluelet (Jason Priestly's place) during November when it was stormy and walked the Wild Pacific Trail. The ocean was just "boiling" that day

bob
Riding the Wet Coast

VStar Lady said...

Isn't it funny how a storm can be so calming when you are on holiday. I love the sound of the crashing ocean with the rain pelting down ... when I have nowhere to be and nothing to do but listen and watch.

BeemerGirl said...

Two words: Wickaninnish Inn. My dream vacation. I've heard the winter storms are wonderful to experience there. I've wanted to go there for 15 years...

Dar said...

Sonja you are making me home sick for your new/old country & I've never been there :) your pictures are always beautiful. Come back to the West Coast anytime!

Dar said...

Lucky you should ride out some time!

Brenda said...

Sometimes nature is too wonderful for words, I just love the way captured this with your photos Dar .. and yep you are making me homesick for the beach too .. I may have to go home sometime soon, spring is in the air here.