Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Moto Edgy....throttle twitch......restlessness.....wind therapy.......RIDING SEASON IS HERE



This picture speaks to my soul, it is me with 3 friends out on one of our weekly rides around Vancouver Island.  I started out as a very timid 50cc scooter rider, but as my sense of self blossomed and confidence soared, I decided I wanted more of this two wheeled glorious freedom machine. 


From 50cc's to 500cc in the space of eight months was pretty miraculous to me because this all just happened by circumstance and commuting needs.  In fact as I look back on this it came in my mid-life, and it probably would qualify as a mid-life crisis to some degree.  But more simply it's about discovery, and giving me courage to look beyond my present self and learn that there is so much more to me than my wonderful regular life of working wife and mother.  

My first bike Lucy in front and my present bike Scarlet

The adventurer has blossomed in my soul and I want to explore places sitting on the back of my bike, I am not content to settle for boring.  At some point in the next few years I want to ride and write about my journeys and  I want my grand kids to say "Wow gran you rode a motorcycle and lived on a float home? Cool!"  



I love the twists and leanings of the bike on those long twisty roads in the summer, with warm sunshine on my shoulders and the cares just drifting off my body and giving me over to the hum of the engine and falling into to trance of the motor's rhythm. Then there is the oneness of mind, soul, body, and bike blending into this intensity of movement and feeling keenly aware of your surroundings from the sights and smells and the exhilaration as you roll on the throttle and lean into your bike. In a word it is MAGIC.  

I quite often hear the siren song of the road calling to me and sometimes I find it hard to sit still and not throw all caution to the wind and just go. I have to be realistic for the moment and take care of my responsibilities.  I am having a internal struggle at this time and hitting a major milestone in a few months and for the first time in my life I am feeling that I have lost my centre. I am sure I am not the only person to find age milestones hard, but then it's only a number. 


I am ruminating a lot about who I am, where I am going, and how to include motorcycling in the larger picture. I find great joy in mentoring new riders and I find it thrilling when you see the moto spark catch and the realization that they can ride. 

I love riding and the feeling that the wind is my dance partner as we glide over the asphalt ribbon that stretches in front of us.  

I think it's time to visit my local insurance agent and get everything road ready and blow some of these feelings out of my soul. Yup riding season is here.

7 comments:

Coop a.k.a. Coopdway said...

And here I thought I already had all of the inspiration that I needed to get out and go....

Dar, you've whipped it up an order of magnitude!

Trobairitz said...

Time to ride Dar. Once you are back in the saddle, I am sure all will be right with your world.

And remember age really is just a number. Maybe I am just in the "don't care" group of women that really don't give a crap what age I am. I am in better health now than when I was younger and I am happy. That is good enough for me.

I want to be like Betty White - grow old gracefully and enjoy every minute.

PS - Glad I am not the only woman wearing lipstick when she rides. That last pic is a great one of you.

Dar said...

Coop - Glad to have stirred the moto desires.

Brandy - Normally 'age' hasn't ever bothered me and I am not sure why it is this time. I love Betty White and I think she rocks and is my hero. I am working on my health and trying to become fitter because when I am soft, riding is harder.

PS - I always wear lipstick and other bits of make-up. I do wear pearls as well.

Unknown said...

Dar:

I can't imagine what milestone you're approaching. Age means nothing, it's all in your mind. You still look 39 to me

No one can plan for perfect health. You never know what the future holds. If you hang on too long perhaps you won't be able to fulfill your touring dream. There is no perfect time. Time marches on and we can't stop it. a minute lost today can never be recovered. There is no perfect time as far as planning goes.

That's what I'm doing. I started to take time off without pay. I have to do it now before I can't . . . I always thought that they will miss me at work, who will do my job but in the end it all works out. They will manage and someone else will step in.

It's time to work on making new memories . . . and follow your dream(s)

bob
A weekend photographer or Riding the Wet Coast

Deb said...

Awesome post! Let's get to it!!!

I've always looked at it this way: it's your money or your time.

You can give "the job" your time and they give you money.

But you can never get your time back.

The older you get the faster time flies. Yep, it's true.

I am sad for the 20 years from my last motorcycle ride to my first scooter ride. I could have had 20 more years of riding.

No crying here over spilled milk though.

Just get out there whenever you can.

I don't think age makes any difference. Ride until you drop over.

That's what I plan to do!

VStar Lady said...

Dar ... I truly agree with Brandy, age is but a number, it's how you fee that counts.

ToadMama said...

"But more simply it's about discovery, and giving me courage to look beyond my present self and learn that there is so much more to me than my wonderful regular life of working wife and mother." You hit the nail on the head, I believe, as to who so many women riders equate motorcycling to a transcending experience. And you described the feeling of riding well. Hooray for riding season! Age really is just a number. I'd much rather be old than dead. :-)