Thursday, October 9, 2014

Evening Autumn tootle

We have had the most amazing summer and it has stretched through to October.  Today we reached a spectacular 20C, normally we are in the low teens.  
Tonight I was on my way to a meeting, and the views were stunning at the meeting venue. So I took a few minutes to catch the sunset and capture the totems in the twilight.
There are spectacularly carved totem poles by Songhees First Nations carvers. This is their rendition of a loon. 
I love Vancouver Island we have a rich diverse history and cultural melting pot. 

The sunset was breathtaking.
This is one of the exquisitely carved chief's poles.  The Songhees culture is beautiful and their carving is beautiful.  I was told that each totem is blessed and captures the spirit of the people, a prayer is said at the beginning of the carving and at the conclusion.  Also First Nations peoples think of the cedar trees the poles are carved from are alive and filled with spirit.  
 

10 comments:

Martha said...

I love totem poles. Thanks for showing these. I would think that if we lived where the weather was "good" all the time it would dull our senses. Our warm autumn needs to stay a couple more months. :^)

Shybiker said...

Wow, what interesting poles. I've always wondered about them and your pictures intrigue me even more. Thanks!

SonjaM said...

Totem Poles, something that we don't have in the old world. Thanks for "sending" them over.

Trobairitz said...

Beautiful sunsets.

The totems look very nice lit up at night too. I've never seen them that way.

RichardM said...

Nice sunset photos. I don't think I've ever seen any that have a rectangular cross section. Do the carvings wrap around the back an us that common?

Bluekat said...

I love the totem poles. Beautiful workmanship. I love NW Native art. Nice images of the sunset as well. We have really been blessed with a nice Fall season this year.

VStar Lady said...

Nice capture of the First Nation art and culture and the sunset.

Deb said...

Interesting and beautiful. Have never seen totem poles like that.

Our natives in this area were "mound builders", so you will see a lot of those marked and a few state parks focused around those.

Ft. Ancient is one. Serpent Mound is another.

Saw a guy riding an '85 red Honda Shadow the other day and thought of you out on your beloved island, just cruising along!

Coop a.k.a. Coopdway said...

I've never seen totems with lighting before; love how the shadows highlight the art.

ToadMama said...

Wow, great shots. Magic light. :-)