Saturday, March 29, 2014

A new tenant in a tidy little condo


I know this is a poor quality picture, but I had to share because I was so excited when I was told about the nest.  My neighbour is a hummingbird lover and has a website called Hummingbirds up close.com. He has been documenting our local hummingbirds. Anna's hummingbirds are indigenous to Vancouver Island and don't migrate over winter.   

These little creatures are amazing, very curious, very tenacious and beautiful.  Every time I go out in the yard you can here them trilling and the hum sound of their wings as they swoop around my yard.  The nest is about as big as a Canadian tooney or a US silver dollar, teeny tiny little nests.  The hummers  use spiderweb silk to create the nest and the little bits of twigs to camouflage it.  The eggs are as small as my pinky nail or beanie baby jelly bean.  I think she has two eggs in the nest.  I am hoping to catch a glimpse of her in the nest on a sunny day to capture a better picture to post.  If you are having trouble she is right in the centre and is looking up. 

Close up of the nest, they are really hard to see because they are well camouflaged.

Just to give you perspective on size of the nest it's the size of the toonie on the left on the right is a quarter.

The nest webcam is installed and should be up and running hummingbirds up close.com


9 comments:

Coop a.k.a. Coopdway said...

Incredible photo of the occupied nest. Nests are seen from the ground here but always too high with foliage preventing a good viewing.

Before long our hummers will be back at the window...impatient for sweet water.

Martha said...

Good job finding the nest! Lots of online info about hummingbird nesting behavior. Thanks for sharing!

Shybiker said...

Hummingbirds are the coolest. They move so fast. It's hard to see them in the wild; I saw a bunch last year at a nature sanctuary. Beautiful creatures.

Trobairitz said...

So cool there is a hummingbird nesting so close.

I've never seen one up close except on a live feed webcam on the interweb. You will have fun watching it.

VStar Lady said...

Dar thanks for the link ... think I've been watching before, just didn't know it was in your back yard. Last year, along with the humming birds we were watching the eagles in the nest on the island, my class enjoys it.

Kathleen Jennette said...

I love those little birds!

RichardM said...

Didn't realize the nests were so small. Thanks for posting the pics!

ToadMama said...

Very cool! That wing sound is something. The first time I was buzzed by one (Ruby Throated, not Anna's) it scared me. As in startled. Sounded like a giant bee. :-)

Deb said...

Cool pics! I miss seeing hummingbirds around my porch here in the burbs.

Keep us posted on the brood's hatching I hope?