Sunday, July 21, 2013

Pacific Marine Circle Loop Part 2 - Twisties




When you see these signs with posted speeds on the route it's best to heed them.  Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the switchbacks because I was too busy riding them.  You will just have to take my word on this, it was AWESOME!  In most spots it is too narrow and too dangerous to park the bike and walk back to take pictures.  I need to get a ram mount for a camera it plunk the GoPro in my helmet.



Just threw this one in here because it pretty much sums up how we were feeling.    :)


We wound our way through the breathtaking Cowichan Valley towards Lake Cowichan.

At one point I had my bike leaned so far over in a tight switchback that it felt like I was parallel to the ground and my peg was scraping and all I could think was "Wow this is me riding this bike?!" I will always remember that moment.



We stopped at the Visitors Centre to relax and eat.   It is everything a small town is famous for quaint and friendly.  

Lake Cowichan is one of the many small logging towns in the island.





Finally the end if the journey is back down the Island Highway to home.


Yesterday I rode 259 kilometres which is about 161 miles.  It may not sound like a lot but when it is on twisty roads with lots of switchbacks it's enough.


Today I am kicking back and chilling out.  Hmmm I wonder where my next moto mama adventure will take me, I know there will be twisties involved.  :) heart singing with anticipation.

9 comments:

Paige said...

Looks like a great ride! It was a fabulous weekend for it :)

Looks like an awesome circle route. I always seem to be going North when I come off the ferry, one of these days I'll have to ride South for pleasure instead of North for work ;)

Dar said...

Paige shoot me an email if you feel like riding the route :)

Paige said...

Will do! Until then, stay safe and happy riding ;)

VStar Lady said...

Awesome scenery ... but don't you hate it when there is no place to stop for a 'kodak' moment?

Dar said...

Karen exactly because you see something incredible and wish you could share it. I definitely need to get the GoPro working.

Andrew Thomson said...

Curves rock! Like the sign on that corner and can't wait until you get your GoPro sorted!

SonjaM said...

I have done the circle route several time. Now that is as all roads paved it is even better, especially for two-wheelers.
The twisties are awesome. Just beware of the tourists who might cut off the turns.

Trobairitz said...

Scraping pegs? You go girl! I am glad you were able to get out for a nice ride.

Nothing wrong with that mileage too. I think it took us 4 hours to go 100 miles last time including stops.

RichardM said...

I like the sign photos! It looks like you had a pretty nice ride, and if the road is too curvy to stop for photos, it sounds like even better…